What Can You Do?
Now, perhaps more than ever, people who care about reproductive, racial, and social justice and human rights want to know what they can do. Attached please find your copy of: INDIVISIBLE: A Practical Guide for Resisting the Trump Agenda. We hope you will read it, share it, and make use of it not only at the federal level, but also at the state and local level.
Resistance, wherever you are, matters. Well-organized efforts across the country to challenge repeal of Obamacare/the Affordable Care Act (ACA) are having an impact. And, while coverage for contraception and abortion are limited or prohibited under the ACA (as well as under Medicare and Medicaid, which are also under attack) these programs help millions of Americans get access to other forms of essential health care. We believe the fight for reproductive justice includes preserving what we have - while we also fight for more.
What else can you do?
Organize and Publicize - Anywhere and Everywhere
Organizing and publicizing your community actions (protesting, hand-delivering a petition, leading a sing along) especially in smaller cities and towns (whether the turn out is big or small) often has the advantage of getting significant media coverage. And, whatever the amount of traditional media attention, you can use Facebook, Twitter or Instagram to document the event and prove that activism is happening everywhere. Tell your Take Root allies what actions you took during the past year and what you plan to do in the next four years with #RedStateResistance.
Change the Face of Government - Run for Office
Our democracy depends on the active participation of people at every level of government. The willingness to serve is the definition of civic duty. What if each of us at Take Root took steps to carry out that duty at all levels of government - including as a Precinct Delegate, a School Board Member, or County Council Member?
Expand the Debate, Build the Base - Challenge the Binaries
Support actions and approaches that challenge simple binaries such as “pro-life” and “pro-choice.” Organize educational opportunities that expand people’s understanding of the ways in which anti-abortion measures also undermine the rights and health of people who want to go to term or who experience pregnancy losses. Learn more about and support organizations that do just that -- including National Advocates for Pregnant Women and others organizations such as:
- Backline - an organization that offers a real alternative to so-called crisis pregnancy centers and promotes unconditional and judgment free support for people in all their decisions, feelings and experience with pregnancy, parenting, adoption and abortion. https://www.yourbackline.org/
- Memphis CHOICES - a health care provider that is striving to establish the first non-profit center that serves and reflects the actual lives of pregnant people - one that combines the provision of abortion and birth services in the same location (just like pregnancy, pregnancy loss, and birth take place in the same human/bodily location!) https://memphischoices.org/
Implement Teach-Ins - Bring the Experts to Your Living Room
Invite people over to learn more about the ways in which anti-abortion measures threaten the rights, health and dignity of all people (regardless of their views on abortion). Hold teach-ins about how to organize, run for office, and fight the anti-people, anti-earth agenda of the current administration. Using technology, experts from across the world can be part of your event. Flattery will get you further than you think -if you can guarantee five or more people at your teach-in, chances are you will get more support than you expect.
Have Fun and Feed Your Soul - Cause we are in this for the Long Haul
Create rituals, sing songs, make up lyrics and make your commitment to resistance include celebration. The need to fight injustice is nothing new in the USA - find and watch talks and documentaries that help put things in perspective. For example:
- The Long Arc of Social Justice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2wrtp1QVdQ)
- When Abortion was Illegal: Untold Stories (https://youtu.be/rSP2zh1CnnE)
- The Business of Being Born (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCiQrcP0Qas)
- American Denial (https://youtu.be/RJj8E7hDEFM)
- The Night Tulsa Burned https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD3aw4-RJpE [Parts 1-6]