– unnecessary c-section; medical interventions; midwives; selecting a care provider; breast and formula feeding
I’m unhappy with the maternity care I received. How can I file a complaint?
* Unhappy With Your Maternity Care, File a Complaint - a step-by-step guide created by Citizens for Midwifery detailing to file a complaint with your state medical board if unhappy with maternity care.
I had a c-section and am looking for support.
* International Cesarean Awareness Network - a grassroots organization that provides information on how to prevent an unnecessary cesarean and how to find resources in your community.
I want to breastfeed my baby. Who can I go to for some information/education/support/encouragement?
* La Leche League International - an international, nonprofit, nonsectarian organization dedicated to providing education, information, support, and encouragement to women who want to breastfeed.
* Kellymom- a breastfeeding and parenting resource website. The website also provides a directory for lactation consultants.
How should I plan for my pregnancy, choose a caregiver, and learn about my options for labor and birth?
* Hospital Maternity-Related Procedures and Practices Statistics (NY) - At this website, you can select any county and then hospital in New York to see, in relation to the state average, the number of vaginal and cesarean births performed, the percentage of women who breast fed, were attended by a midwife, required the use of forceps, etc. This is a useful tool for anyone deciding which hospital to give birth in in New York.
* Childbirth Connection - information and resources on planning for pregnancy, choosing a caregiver, labor and birth, and the postpartum period.
* Coalition for Improving Maternity Services - a coalition of individuals and national organizations with concern for the care and well-being of mothers, babies, and families that promotes a wellness model of maternity care that will improve birth outcomes and substantially reduce costs.
* Choices in Childbirth - helps women make informed choices about where, how and with whom to birth.
* Mothers Naturally “Choosing Your Midwife” - questions to ask your midwife to be able to make an informed choice.
Where can I find a midwife?
* Mothers Naturally - Find a midwife search engine
* American College of Nurse-Midwives - Find a midwife search engine