Immigration Issues

August 19, 2011

I’m an immigrant to the United States. Is there an organization that works specifically with immigrants?

*American Gateways (Central Texas)- an organization providing legal and educational services for immigrants to navigate the U.S. immigration system. They provide free or low cost direct legal representation for immigrants in Central Texas. Telephone: 512-478-0546.

*The National Immigrant Women’s Advocacy Project - Offers trainings, technical assistance, public policy advocacy, and conducts research to assist a wide range of professionals whose work affects immigrant women and children. Telephone: 202-274-4457.

*Immigration Equality - national advocacy organization focused on “equality under immigration law for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (LGBT), and HIV-positive individuals.” In addition to providing up-to-date information and resources about immigration, the organization’s pro-bono asylum project assists LGBT and HIV-positive asylum seekers to find free or low-cost legal representation. Telephone: 212-714-2904.

*Center for Gender and Refugee Studies (CGRS) - provides legal expertise and resources to attorneys representing women asylum-seekers fleeing gender related harm. Telephone: 415-565-477.

*Immigrant Services Directory: A National Guide of Service Providers - American Civil Liberties Union- A guide of immigration service providers by state providing assistance at low or no cost.